Monday, January 7, 2019

I Fear What I'll Have to Do to My Characters

The cast of Sami's Dojo has been around for a long time, 10 to 12 years or so. I created the characters as carbon copies of all my friends of the time as Naruto-style ninja. Over time, I've let the characters transform from simple copies of my friends' personalities to more complex people of their own. I really couldn't say that any one of the Sami's Dojo characters has anything to do with their originally associated person, anymore. They've grown and matured as I've grown and matured. In a way, these fictional characters my closest friends and I love each of them dearly.

I get a lot of my inspiration for my stories through music. My creative workflow is strongly influenced by film and animation, so I need music for my writing as much as Lord of the Rings needs its epic soundtrack. One of my favorite EDM artists, S3RL, recently released a song called Berserk, based on the anime/manga of the same name. It was while I was listening to this song that the concept for Sami's Dojo as it is now formed in my head. 

If you know anything about Berserk, you know that me gaining inspiration for my comic from S3RL's song is probably bad news. I've almost always loved dark tragedy stories and so what should I do with these characters that I love so much? Why, throw them into a dark tragedy, of course. I'm really not sure why I'm planning so many sad and horrible things to happen to my characters, but I know that writing it will probably make me cry. 

I hope that my writing will be good enough that you all will come to love the characters as much as I do and cry right along with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment